Saturday, July 2, 2011

Google Dabai. "Did you mean Dubai?"

“What. In. The. World. Is. That?”

“You’ve never seen it before?”

“How does ‘Hell-To-The-Naw’ sounds to you?”

“But you’re Sarawakkian, you should know of it.”







This is Nasi Goreng Dabai, or Dabai Fried Rice. It’s pure awesome and you’ve probably never heard of it. Which I’m going to emphasize, because it makes me feel like less of a loser for not having heard of it as well.

I know, I know, you’re not from Sarawak and your ignorance makes sense. Shut up.

So... Dabai is a fruit.

I googled dabai and there were less than five relevant results for it, which was to be expected. I could plagiarise and sound all smart and shit, but you know, as I usually confess easily;

Too lazy.

So go have a read here.

The dabai, having been seasoned with salt, was overpowering in its saltiness, but when I shoved another spoonful of fried rice into my mouth, it tasted just right. The dabai tasted... unique, different. It was full, rich, the texture was smooth and it had a strongly distinct flavour. I don’t think anything else could replicate the taste, neither can I exactly describe it. It’s nothing like any other salted variety of fried rice, like Nasi Goreng Ikan Masin or I don’t know, Nasi Goreng Garam or something.

But I would definitely have it again.

Anyway, as it turns out, I did know of Dabai, it was a fruit I did have as a kid, I just didn’t know its name or that it was native to only Borneo. Ten years later, it’s only natural that I forget. It’s hard to come by, since the other name for it is Sibu olive. It’s not as easy to get in Kuching as hawkers selling it at the weekly market would have to bring it all the way from Sibu, the only place where it’s harvested. Oh, and it’s seasonal.

Sibu, like most of the small cities in Sarawak could hardly be called a city. A few modern buildings, official looking establishments and widely-sparse residential areas restricted within a small circumference hardly fitting to be deemed a “city”. Sometimes there’s a small airport, but most of the time a short drive, meaning several house (like, ten), is the only means to get to places.

Oh, and helicopters.

But that’s how most cities in Sarawak are. Sarawak is huge, mostly underdeveloped, proudly rural, jungles spewing forth everywhere and cities are several miles apart. Roads are not always accessible. I drove three hours to another nearby city from Kuching for a “day-trip”.

On the way there though, you could find several small creeks, untouched rivers, hot springs or beautiful landscapes of nature where you could literally park by the roadside, take out the picnic basket you packed and have one hell of a breakfast, lunch, or evening tea by the crystal clear waters set in pebbled stones and shaded by wild trees.

It’s breathtaking.

It is definitely fitting to be called “Borneo” or the “Rainforest”.

So travellers, if you visit Sarawak, while you’re having the Kolo Mee, Laksa Sarawak and Teh C Peng Special, don’t forget Nasi Goreng Dabai as well. It’s rare and a only few places sell it though, so good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment