Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Acid Man's Inspiration


Was combing through my backlog of unread Reddit posts, and came upon this interesting article.

Anyway, it hints that throughout Asia, mostly where women are still subjugated and expected to be servile, obsequious slaves for men or where misogyny runs rampant, acid attacks are not that out-of-place and most of the time, much like how rape and wife-beatings are turned a blind eye upon (sometimes, even encouraged), the culprits are never hunted, let alone apprehended.

Then, it led me to this article, which then states that wife burnings is common in certain parts of Asia.

...How can I be so ignorant of something like this?

Here are some salient parts directly quoted from the article (Click on the link, you lazy sloths):

"Since 1994, Ms. Bukhari has documented 7,800 cases of women who were deliberately burned, scalded or subjected to acid attacks, just in the Islamabad area. In only 2 percent of those cases was anyone convicted."


"This month in Afghanistan, men on motorcycles threw acid on a group of girls who dared to attend school. One of the girls, a 17-year-old named Shamsia, told reporters from her hospital bed: “I will go to my school even if they kill me. My message for the enemies is that if they do this 100 times, I am still going to continue my studies.”

“I screamed,” Ms. Azar recalled. “The flesh of my cheeks was falling off. The bones on my face were showing, and all of my skin was falling off.”"


We're angry that the police force aren't aggressively hunting down the "Acid Man" (Though I'm not sure how most came to that conclusion), despite the fact that he probably hasn't been exactly eager to indulge in his perverse act when a baton-wielding policeman is traipsing along congested areas. At least we look upon this act as abhorrent and completely appalling, and the media coverage it has gotten thus far shows how unanimous we are in observing its treachery.

These women aren't so lucky;

"Because women usually don’t matter in this part of the world, their attackers are rarely prosecuted and acid sales are usually not controlled. It’s a kind of terrorism that becomes accepted as part of the background noise in the region."

Here are more pictures but honestly, for greater impact, just visit the site itself.











The backstory is that they got attacked simply for rejecting an offer for marriage, to settle a family dispute, because she tried to divorce her deadbeat husband, because her father didn't want another girl, was raped by three men and was later given an acid bath, etc.

I... don't know how to react to this.




5 comments:

  1. Stumbled upon this a few years ago, when I watched a documentary about "honor killings" perpetuated by men in India and Pakistan, where the caste system is still considered law of the land.

    http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/national-geographic-channel/all-videos/av-5243-5543/ngc-honor-killings.html

    What really flipped me over was how those accused of being involved in these honor killings were so casual in describing their actions, as though their wives are less valuable than let's say, livestock.

    The more you know, *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never understand the people who live in South/Central Asia. It's like, I don't know, they're living in a different century/world than the rest of the world. It's like time got stuck at year 1700 and never moved on.

    Do you get what I mean? Can't find a better explanation.

    Another thing I can't quite understand is how they like to marry each other (first cousins, step-uncles, etc, etc). It's beyond icky to marry a family member, especially the one you grew up with. Malaysians of Pakistani descent practice that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's the sheer volume of people in that country? It's unruly and basically chaos, but that's what you get if you reign over a country with a population that rivals several major continents.

    But then again, there's China... though those people have other problems of their own, heh. True on the Pakistani marrying ilk thing, but I try not to pretend to understand their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, China is another story. I find it ironic that there are parts in these countries (India, China, Pakistan, etc, etc) where the people are so modern, educated, earn good living, etc, but at the far ends of the said countries, barbarians live. The differences are so big they amaze me.

    Oh another thing, I'm so fascinated with Bhutan right now. Do you know that the country measures happiness and instead of GDP and GNP they have GNH (gross national happiness)? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete